Activity: Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4 & 5

Basketball Season 1;

The beginning of my CAS activity journey revolved around basketball. We trained several times a week and played weekly from 30/1/19 to 22/3/19. I missed the beginning of the season due to injury, which made coming back into the season difficult. Here is a list of all the trainings:Basketball_Training.png

I ended up playing the season in the 1sts, which was both a challenge and an honour. In the GPS competition, we won 3/6 games, beating Scots, Kings and St Josephs. In total, I estimate I spent over 70 hours participating in basketball over the few months. Despite this, my actual basketball skill remained low compared with my peers. I made up for this through physicality and playing as hard as possible. 

https://youtu.be/B2amK9917FA

1st_XI.jpeg

Outcomes;

LO1 - Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth

As mentioned in the above blog, my actual skill level in regards to shooting and dribbling were not particularly high. Thus, they were the main focus of my training and developed significantly over the year. Throughout this growth, my original strength of just playing hard remained.

LO2 - Demonstrates that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

After missing almost the entire trial period after surgery, returning to a training environment at such a high level of basketball posed a challenge in it of itself, as I had not played in over 9 months.  Plenty of new skills were developed, as I had to learn very quickly to be able to keep up with the rest of the boys.

LO4 - Shows commitment and perseverance to a CAS experience

For the first term, we trained at least 3 mornings a week and 3 afternoons. This load was incredibly tough, and maintaining it required great commitment.

LO5 - Demonstrate the skills and benefits of working collaboratively

Basketball is a team sport, and the culture the team developed, being the top team in the school, was exceptional. I was (unabashedly) a role player and I understood the benefits of working collaboratively. I can not score well, so I did not try and score, I helped my teammates to score by setting screens and cutting hard. I recognized my weakness, but realised, in a team environment, we can work to use our strengths and cover each other's weaknesses.

Reflection:

Basketball season brought the best out of me. From the support of my teammates and coaches, I become more confident in my skills, more vocal in my leadership and pushed myself physically harder than ever before. The season was full of ups and downs, and being able to take a win and a loss proudly and keeping my head up was a major point of growth. I look forward to the upcoming rugby season and next years basketball where I can continue to develop my composure, positivity and fitness.

Rugby Season 1:

There was quite a significant overlap between the end of basketball and the beginning of rugby. The season was also a turbulent one, with me playing 3 games of 1st XV and the rest in 2nd XV whilst also playing in three different positions (flyhalf, inside centre and fullback). The training load was incredibly tough, with 6 sessions a week and a 3-day training camp.

Screen_Shot_2019-08-22_at_9.38.55_am.png

The GPS season had a less than desirable start, taking a 55-0 loss to St Josephs. However, the team stayed positive and kept training hard leading to a narrow loss to kings, finishing the season with wins over Shore, Scots and Riverview. I managed to play in every game of the season, despite battling an AC joint injury, two dislocated fingers and an ankle injury that should have kept me out for 4 weeks.

LO1. Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth

It was a season of ups and downs, which required all of the boys to maintain their confidence. Personally, I had to maintain my strengths such as communication and physicality whilst working on being more dynamic on the field.

LO2. Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

Beginning our GPS season with a 55-0 loss against Joeys and a close loss against Kings was mentally difficult after working hard for several months of the preseason. However, we developed our resilience and managed to finish the season on a strong note, winning three games in a row. Thus, over the season, we were challenged and managed to respond positively.

LO4. Show commitment and perseverance in CAS experiences.

The season involved 173 hours of training during the school term, as well as other training in the holidays. It was gruelling and I was dealing with minor injuries for most of the season. I showed commitment and perseverance by continually turning up and working hard at training and in the games.

58590286559__9951151A-C0A1-4907-AC11-E18F6114B903.jpeg

LO5. Demonstrate the skills and benefits of working collaboratively

As above, rugby is a team sport, and thus the benefits of working collaboratively are imperative to use. With 14 other boys with you on the field at once, your communication and teamwork skills develop rapidly over the season.

Newington-_-_1.jpeg

Reflection

Rugby is my favourite sport because of the unique and vast opportunities for growth it provides you. The brotherhood you form with your teammates over a season, primarily due to the fact you are literally putting your body on the line with them every week, is unparalleled. The season developed my mental and physical toughness, patience, communication skills and leadership, and I am looking forward to another 173 hours of training next year!

Report Comment

Screen_Shot_2020-05-07_at_12.01.26_pm.png