Creativity: Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7

My creativity component of CAS was debating. The season consisted of two competitions, ISDA and GPS. The former was markedly more successful for me than the later, competing in the ISDA Senior A's and GPS 1sts. We made it to the semi-finals for ISDA, but unfortunately went 0 from 7 in the GPS competition.

Debating.png

I also participated in the John Waterhouse Philosophical Society, in which we discussed both metaphysical theories and their practical applications. We met fortnightly and attended Ethics Centre lectures when they were hosted by Newington. Furthermore, I partook in History Debating and Public Speaking, to further my development in these areas.

Going into the creativity section of my CAS, I wanted to improve my confidence, public speaking skill, collaboration ability and discuss relevant, large scale societal issues.

Screen_Shot_2019-09-19_at_10.10.28_am.png

Outcomes

LO1 - Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth

For debating, we had nationally ranked university debaters as our coaches, who assisted greatly in the critical thinking and reflection process after each speech. The primary point of development for me in debating was learning to provide clearly numbered and defined mechanisms for each benefit.

LO2 - Demonstrates that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

The GPS season clearly proved quite the challenge for us, but we managed to continue developing and come very close to beating grammar in the penultimate round.

LO4 - Shows commitment and perseverance to a CAS experience

Debating is an activity that runs on Friday nights from 5pm to 9pm, and can, at times, be quite frustrating at the end of a long week. However, I showed perseverance by continuing to show up and give my best 

LO5 - Demonstrate the skills and benefits of working collaboratively

Debating is heavily focused on collaboration and teamwork, as you must construct a case in collaboration with the 3 other members of your team. Consistency of this case and its intricacies 'down the bench' is pivotal, and can lose you the debate.

LO 6 - Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance.

LO 7 - Recognize and consider the ethics of choices and actions.

These two outcomes can be evaluated together. Debating and John Waterhouse Society both revolve around discussion of certain issues, and in both instances, an effort has been made to make said issues relatable, relevant, important and practical. For example, a topic we had in GPS debating was 'that there should be an independent board of scientists to write and pass climate change legislation'. This not only immediately deals with the obvious issue of climate change, but takes into account the ethics of overriding the democratic process and the potential precedent that would set. Thus, through Debating and John Waterhouse Society I have engaged with issues of Global Significance and considered the ethics of actions.

Reflection:

My first of two seasons of debating were rife with learning opportunities. It was, by my standards, a relatively unsuccessful one, but with that came developments in my ability to persist and deal with losing. I also unsurprisingly developed by public speaking and critical thinking abilities which will help me in many other walks of life.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-17_at_9.36.39_am.png