Service: Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4 & 5

The service component of my CAS portfolio has consisted of several different activities, including Red Shield Appeal, Relay for Life and the Boarders Barbeque and City 2 Surf, but the main, consistent component was being a Sergeant in the NCCU.

Service Learning activities have unsurprisingly been a continual source of opportunities for personal growth and satisfaction.

Red Shield Appeal:

Red Shield appeal involved door knocking and collecting donations around Dulwich Hill. My group managed to raise over $300 despite our fair share of quite frosty receptions on a Sunday morning. As a result, the event was beneficial for my perseverance. Furthermore, seeing a vast number of boys wearing red and white badges made me feel as if I was a part of something much bigger then myself which was humbling and rewarding. 

Screen_Shot_2019-06-25_at_10.19.40_am.png

Relay for Life:

The organization of, fundraising for and participation in Relay for Life was my CAS project, and more information about my participation can be found on my CAS Project Blog.

Loaves and Fishes:

Loaves and Fishes is an activity where a group of Newington boys works with the Exodus Foundation at their free restaurant in Ashfield. Every boy has the opportunity to participate, which I did twice in 2019. From 8:00 - 9:45 we assist in the kitchen, working with the other volunteers to prepare food, clean and offer assistance in other ways. 

City 2 Surf:

City 2 Surf is one of Sydney's most famous charity events, involving the completion of a 14km fun run, which isn't nearly as fun as the name suggests. It does, however, offer an immense sense of camaraderie and satisfaction, having both completed a long run/walk and have done so for a good course. The boarding house ran with team Humpty and fundraised through both using a network of family and friends to spread our page and hosting a barbeque at school.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-15_at_8.34.38_pm.png

You may struggle to find me in this photo, but I am in it, just I am in the Humpty Suit!

Cadets:

In 2019 I participated in the NCCU as a Sergeant in A4 Platoon. My CUO was Bradley Parker and my fellow Sergeants were Charlie Nicholas and Nic Bulley. In our platoon, there were 22 boys from year 10. Home training occurred fortnightly on Friday afternoons (2:30 - 4:30) in which the leaders led activities such as mapping, first aid courses, creativity and engineering initiatives, lessons in drill, scuba diving, and bushcraft lessons. In addition to this, I participated in CUO's (Cadet Under Officer) course, which ran from 4:30 - 5:30 after normal home training. This course consisted of similar content but studied to a higher depth in order to prepare us to teach the boys next year.

The highlight of cadets this year was our annual camp, which ran from the 22nd - 26th of September in the Colo Valley. It provided me with an opportunity to put into practise my knowledge and lead the boys despite at time trying conditions. Learning to manage personalities and differences in physical capabilities in a large group in the pouring rain in the middle of a seven-hour trek was challenging but highly rewarding. Attached is the comment in my report from my Commanding Officer, Major Wood.

Cadet_Evidence.png

Outcomes:

LO1 - Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth

Cadets has been a continual learning process, making me focus on my public speaking and leadership ability. Learning how to deal with personalities and occasionally concede and find middle ground on issues has been a point of growth.

LO2 - Demonstrates that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

Managing conflicting personalities within a platoon of 24 year 10 students proved to be difficult, particularly when they were begrudgingly sitting in a classroom on a Friday afternoon. Learning how to motivate and stimulate them to maximize their learning has challenged my ability to lead and serve.

LO5 - Demonstrate the skills and benefits of working collaboratively

There are 3 other Sergeants and a CUO (Cadet Under Officer) who collectively work to lead the platoon. The CUO has the highest authority, and as a quite assertive and somewhat argumentative person, cadets served as invaluable to learn to work with and work under the authority of an older student.